Baumholder's Past as a German  Post
Many of the buildings on Baumholder post date back to its construction as a German post in 1938. These old photos show the post in 1941, with the 110 Infantry Regiment training and the 33rd Pioneer (Engineer) Abteilung deploying to North Africa. A few show the post under French adminsitration between the end of the war and when the US assumed control in 1951. As of Feb 09, a then-and-now photo comparison is in the works.  Click here for  Obrgrf. Hermann Klink's report of deploying from Baumholder in March 1942. The photos are from the collection of Mr. Jim Haley. Thanks to 1st AD Museum curator Steve Ruhnke for his help and faithful support!      THEN AND NOW PHOTOS COMING SOON
Rank on the uniform is a Gefreiter, equivalent to a Private. The photo was taken in the field behind the theater facing east/northeast, with the First Armored Division Museum building visible in the upper left (with three stairways).
Seeing this photo I thought of Herr Klink's comment: "It took FOREVER to get all the equipment that had been ordered..the system was quite inefficient."  Well, nothing's changed today, Herr Klink! This photo was taken across from  the 40th Eng. motor pool area, looking SE. The rounded entry columns with onion domes identify these buildings on Mass. & Vermont Ave.
This photo was taken at the train station looking north. A German friend identified these men as Feldwebels (SGTs) with one Officer.. By the shadows it would be in the late afternoon during the winter months.
Taken from the field behind the theater, looking east/SE. Library is partially visible on the left, with engineer complex on the right. Field Street is barely visible.
MORE PHOTOS HERE
Home
Contact
Same view today, taken from the train platform. The garage is pretty much unchanged, and the building under construction  in above photo is visible in its completed form on the right. The church steeple is peeking out behind it. 
Read Herr Klink's written report here