Eichelscheiderhof Farm
Could there be a worse location in the war years? Historic Eichelscheiderhof was located in the 1500 meter strip between the French/German border and the antitank ditches protecting German ammo bunkers. Almost 200 years of prestigious horse breeding came to a close when the purebreds were twice evacuated and stock replaced by the sturdier breeds needed by the Wehrmacht.  
The clocktower was destroyed 17 Dec 1944 when American pilot LTC Richard B. Harbeson crashlanded his P47 "Barbara" on the roof. Harbeson's Thunderbolt was hit by flak after strafing a train near Landstuhl. His comrades from the 362 Fighter Group from Rouvre France circled the farm for thirty minutes until they confirmed he was alive. Harbeson was taken to the Landstuhl Hospital with minor injuries before transfer to a prison camp. He returned to the USA after the war and died in 1967. At the time of the crash,  the Eichelscheiderhof residents were in a bunker and didn't know a plane had crashed into their apartment! The tower was replaced in 1997.
Three plane crashes occurred in 1944 around Eichelscheiderhof. Read a synopsis on the page link lower right, or the whole story (with photos) on this excellent website: http://www.flugzeugabstuerze-saarland.de/html/kusel.html


Thanks to Uwe Benkel of for use of his photos
The 1754 Baroque architecture of the farm is representative of mixed French/German ownership. Horse breeding under Duke Christian IV of Zweibrucken provided elite mounts for European royalty, including Napolean. French Revolution troops occupied the farm in 1793 and initiated a many years of changing allegiances. Eichelscheiderhof became German state property in 1945 until returning to private ownership in 1960.
Map/Directions to Eichelscheiderhof
The Plane Crashes near Eichelscheiderhof
(R) LTC Richard B. Hardeson
Contact
Home